Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Vintage Dress

About a month ago my grandma passed away, she was 91 years old, and left behind a lot of stuff for her 5 grandchildren to sort through. We picked out what we wanted from the usual china and knick-knacks, and the rest of the stuff was boxed up and shipped to my parents house. One of the awesome finds was this dress that my grandma wore on her and her husband's first date after he arrived home from World War II. Crazy enough it was still in great shape after all these years of being in storage. Anyways, I was freaking excited when my mom told me she had a dress of my grandma's that she thought would fit me. Sure enough it fit perfectly and has such a classic look. I decided I just wouldn't be doing the dress justice if I didn't pair it with some old school seamed stockings.
My grandma in the dress. Her mother worked as a seamstress for Peggy Hunt, a well-known designer in L.A. at the time, and made the dresses that the models wore. As a result most of my grandma's clothes were custom made. This dress was made by her mom, my great-grandmother in 1945.

Me in the dress on our way to church...60 some-odd years later.

...and the seamed stockings

5 comments:

Katie said...

Wow! That is awesome. Your grandma was one classy lady.

Lauren said...

I love it! What a neat heirloom, looks great. I definitely need to get some of those stockings too!

Melinda O Hall said...

Robyn you look great! I love that you posted Grandma's picture in the dress too.

Joey Rachel Avery & Ansley said...

that is beautiful! & beautiful on you

Jaala said...

I freaking love it! This is awesome! I showed this post off to my vintage loving friends at work. We are all freaking out over it. AWESOME!